Watermelon tourmaline crystal stone meaning and gemstone properties.
Buy natural watermelon tourmaline in our shop
Watermelon tourmaline is a variety of concentrically color-zoned tourmaline with red interiors and green exteriors and is distinct from longitudinal bi-color or polychrome zonation.
Some trace elements are aluminium, iron, also magnesium, sodium, lithium, or potassium. The classification is semi-precious gemstone. it comes in a wide variety of colors.
According to the Madras Tamil Lexicon, the name comes from the Sinhalese word “thoramalli”, a group of gemstones found in Sri Lanka. According to the same source, the Tamil “tuvara-malli” comes from the Sinhalese root word. This etymology also comes from other standard dictionaries including the Oxford English Dictionary.
Watermelon tourmaline or elbaite also, is a sodium, lithium, aluminium boro-silicate, with the chemical composition Na(Li1.5Al1.5)Al6Si6O18(BO3)3(OH)4. It is a mineral species belonging to the six-member ring cyclosilicate tourmaline group.
Watermelon tourmaline slices
Elbaite forms three series, with dravite, also with fluor-liddicoatite, and with schorl. Due to these series, specimens with the ideal endmember formula are not found occurring naturally.
As a gemstone, elbaite is also a desirable member of the tourmaline group. Because of the variety and depth of its colours and quality of the crystals. It was originally discovered on the island of Elba, Italy in 1913. It has since been found in many parts of the world. In 1994, we found a major source Canada, at O’Grady Lakes in the Yukon.
Watermelon tourmaline forms in igneous and also metamorphic rocks and veins. In association with lepidolite, also microcline, and spodumene in granite pegmatites. With andalusite, also biotite in schist, and with molybdenite and cassiterite in massive hydrothermal replacement deposits.
Elbaite is allochromatic, meaning trace amounts of impurities. It can tint crystals, and it can be strongly pleochroic. We found elbaite in every color of the rainbow. Some exhibiting multicolor zonation. Finally, microscopic acicular inclusions in some crystals show a sat’s eye effect in polished cabochons.
– Colorless: achroite variety
– Red or pinkish-red: rubellite variety
– Light blue to bluish green: Brazilian indicolite variety
– Green: Brazilian verdelite variety
– Watermelon tourmaline is a variety with a reddish center witg a green outer zone. It looks like watermelon rind. It is evident in cross section slices of prisms. And it often display curved sides.
- Category: Cyclosilicate
- Chemical formula: (Ca,K,Na, ▢)(Al,Fe,Li,Mg,Mn)3(Al,Cr, Fe,V)6
- Crystal system: Trigonal
- Crystal class: Ditrigonal pyramidal (3m)
- Color: Multicolor
- Crystal habit: Parallel and elongated. Acicular prisms.
- Cleavage: Indistinct
- Fracture: Uneven, small conchoidal, brittle
- Mohs scale hardness: 7 – 7.5
- Luster: Vitreous, sometimes resinous
- Specific gravity: 3.06 (+.20 -.06
- Density: 2.82–3.32
- Polish luster: Vitreous
- Optical properties: Double refractive, uniaxial negative
- Refractive index: nω=1.635–1.675 / nε=1.610–1.650
- Birefringence: -0.018 to −0.040. Typically about .020 but in dark stones it may reach .040
- Pleochroism: Typically moderate to strong:
– Red: moderate. Dark red, light red
– Green: strong. Dark green, yellow-green
– Brown: moderate. Dark brown, light brown
– Blue: strong. Dark blue, light blue
- Dispersion: .017
- Ultraviolet fluorescence: Pink stones. Inert to very weak red to violet in long and short wave
- Absorption spectra: Strong narrow band at 498 nm, and almost complete absorption of red down to 640 nm in blue and green stones. Red and pink stones show lines at 458 and 451 nm as well as a broad band in the green spectrum
Watermelon tourmaline crystal stone meaning and gemstone healing properties benefits
The following section is pseudo scientific and based on cultural beliefs.
Watermelon tourmaline is known as the gateway to the inner self and the super activator of your heart and higher heart chakras. This crystal will unlock, cleanse, and eliminate any blockage in your chakras, which will result in relief from stress and an increase in your sense of compassion, sympathy, and empathy.
What is watermelon tourmaline good for?
This stone offers up light, love, and rejuvenation to help keep ones heart and mind imbued with joy, general happiness, being more adventurous, having increased daily energy, self-love and confidence are all brought out when wearing or carrying watermelon tourmaline for spiritual meaning.
Is watermelon tourmaline expensive?
Watermelon tourmalines with vivid, clearly separated colors are very rare and command high value. Clean stones with good crystal in the 4-7 carats range, with an even distribution of each color, change hands for at least 500 to 600 $ US price per carat.
Is watermelon tourmaline real?
Genuine stone is one of the most rare and collectible gems, and despite looking as if it can’t possibly to be a real gem, but it is 100% natural.
What chakra is watermelon tourmaline?
Watermelon tourmaline crystal stone meaning and gemstone properties are link to heart chakra. The gem promotes feelings of self-worth. It can also be used to balance and cleanse your chakras. Black tourmaline is link to root chakra, the gemstone reduces anxiety and stress. It is believed that this stone keeps you grounded.
Is watermelon tourmaline a quartz?
Not at all. This rare crystal is grouped as Elbaite in the Tourmaline family of stones.
How can you tell if a watermelon tourmaline is real?
In order to tell the difference, take a close look at the color separation. Real watermelon tourmaline rough will have a fade between colors, whereas a fake version is likely to have a sharp line separating the hues. A real one also almost always has visible inclusions to the naked eye. If it has no inclusion at all, it may be a sign that it is a fake stone. In case of doubt, do not hesitate to ask a gemologist. Or use our gemstone testing service
Natural watermelon tourmaline for sale in our gem shop
We make custom made watermelon tourmaline jewelry as engagement rings, necklaces, stud earrings, bracelets, pendants… Please contact us for a quote.